Qorvis is seeking an early or mid-career media maven with strong and versatile communications skills—and the ability to leverage and expand networks of media relationships across a variety of U.S. and international platforms to meet clients’ objectives.
The position is based in Washington, D.C., and will focus on media relations and outreach on behalf of several corporate and sovereign government clients who are in the news every day. The individual will jump into planning and executing creative campaigns to help clients meet key media objectives and navigate geopolitical challenges worldwide. Much of the work will involve interaction with clients associated with foreign governments or corporations, requiring an understanding of international business and foreign policy dynamics as well as comfort and objectivity when dealing with sensitive or politically charged issues.
The ideal candidate will have a background and proven experience in a fast-paced and high-stakes media or communications environment, such as a congressional press office, campaign, daily newspaper or television news, or financial institution/commodities trader—we’d love a former press secretary, wire reporter, or TV news booker or producer.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with U.S. and international media and opinion leaders.
- Engage effectively with media, opinion leaders, and influencers to ensure clients’ objectives are reflected in the media.
- Build and execute compelling, creative, persuasive media campaigns.
- Draft press releases, messaging, op-eds, social content, and other materials for clients working on a wide range of complex issues related to U.S. and EU policy, geopolitics, energy, commodities, banking, and technology.
- Oversee the production of media and policy monitoring reports, guiding junior staff on tracking media and issues important to clients and providing thoughtful analysis and insights to clients.
- Maintain and grow client relationships, track and produce deliverables and reports, and ensure team is responsive to clients’ requests while also proactively pitching and executing new ideas to keep clients engaged.
- Participate in media training or development sessions with clients.
- Support agency leadership with other strategic communications, crisis communications, or business development needs on tight, round-the-clock deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with at least 3-4 years of relevant experience, such as a congressional/state legislature office, campaign, or media organization, or high-stakes analytical/markets position at a financial institution.
- Established network of media contacts (reporters, editors, TV/radio/podcast bookers, etc.) and a plan to continue to grow your Rolodex.
- Strong knowledge of geopolitical dynamics, business, and how media really works.
- Adroitness and comfort in dealing with media on sometimes sensitive political and/or corporate issues.
- Calmness, objectivity, and diplomacy in times of stress or crisis.
- A critical thinker who can “think around corners.” The client wants a media hit or op-ed—but there’s no news to pitch? You can quickly come up with a handful of newsworthy, creative ideas and a plan to achieve deliverables for the client.
- Ability to effectively manage and execute client deliverables and reports on deadlines across several time zones. This may include early/late calls and being responsive to international clients on weekends/U.S. holidays (we’re a global business).
- Ability to engage in different working cultures, travel within U.S. and foreign countries, and appreciate different values and experiences.
- Ability to work in person in the office in Washington, D.C. immediately.
This individual will support clients with headline-making geopolitical challenges, and clients associated with foreign governments and corporations. You should see this as an opportunity—not something you want to avoid.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and CV/resumé to Samantha Sault at [email protected]. We will not accept applications through LinkedIn.
Qorvis is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.